Logo

Lean or richer

"when the engine is at high sp

"when the engine is at high speed, it kinda pops a little, does this mean its running rich or lean? I just replaced the plugs and rotor, but I am not sure."

"I would do a compression chec

"I would do a compression check, You might have one or more leaking intake valves. Another thing to check is Your max spark advance (ign timing)."

"when it had the carb rebuilt

"when it had the carb rebuilt they did a compression check, they said it was 140/150 across all 4 which was good. It also didnt do this until this weekend when we were out in it."

"It's dangerously lean! S

"It's dangerously lean! Something is preventing the flow of enough gas to the motor. It could be:

1. Dirty filters

2. Water in the gas

3. An air leak before the pump

4. Crimped line (unlikely), and,

5. Restrictive filter(s) before the fuel pump. Filters should always go AFTER the fuel pump.

Jeff"

"What happens or how do I know

"What happens or how do I know if its too rich? Thanks Jeff, I will check the filters out. We took it out on the ocean for the first time and ran into a seaweed bed and had to clean out the filter on the outdrive which wasnt hard. It was after then that it started to act funny."

"I think you are running too l

"I think you are running too lean as well, could be as simple as a carb adjustment or the items Jeff mentions. If it was running too rich you should see black smoke out the exhaust or carbon build up on the plugs."

"when I replaced the plugs, it

"when I replaced the plugs, it did have some build up but it wasnt bad. As I said, this began after we hit that little bit of seaweed. I think perhaps with time in freshwater it will clean itself out the rest of the way..... but if its the carb, I need to adjust it. The thing is there, it has 2 carbs and I have no idea which or how to even tell which one."

"I think maybe it got water in

"I think maybe it got water in the fuel from when we were sitting on the ocean crabbing. There was many times large wakes came and moved us, and the fuel overflow is on the port side of the bow. Perhaps it came in that valve hole? I dont know how to seal it off or if I would even want to, do they make an additive for the gas I can add to evaporate the water in the fuel?"

If your talking about the vent

If your talking about the vent line for the fuel tank you definitely don't want to block that off. The tank needs to draw in air to replace the fuel being used otherwise you end up building a vacumn in the tank and eventually it's hard for the fuel pump to overcome and you have fuel starvation big time. If you suspect water in the fuel change the water/fuel separator and up here we would dump in some gas line antifreeze which is meant to mix with the water so it will burn off. Not sure what it may called where you are but you should be able to get it at any auto supply store.

I would get some SeaForm avail

I would get some SeaForm available at most auto parts stores (Napa). It can be added to gas to remove water through the card to free sticky values or to the oil as a lub. and dryer in the case of any water.

Back