Logo

Water leak

johnvanassche

I have a 83 OMC with a2.5 GM m

I have a 83 OMC with a2.5 GM motor.It is leaking water from the bell housing.I took the engine out thinking it was a frost plug at the rear of the engine.It was not the leak.I put the engine back in started the engine to look at the leak closely.The slow leak was comeing from the bottom between the engine and intermediate housing by looking close I see it was comeing out on the intermediate housing side of the flyweel . Does that mean the intermed housing is the leak?Is it a big job to replace? And where could I find a used one.

"Sure its not coming from some

"Sure its not coming from some where else? It could be coming from the intermediate housing like you say. But on mine, I have a power steering cooler in back of the motor and it sits on the intermediate. It was leaking and the water was runing down the IM and it looked like it was coming from the IM. I got a better view by removing the transom boot. Also, there is a rubber house that attaches to the IM way in the back. That could be another souce of a leak. Then again, I have a OMC 800 (83'). You probably have a 400. Not sure how different they are."

"J van, how did you make out w

"J van, how did you make out with this? I have a 7.5L Ford and just discovered the same leak, coming out from the lower bell housing cover. I assummed it was a freeze out plug and I am preparing to pull the motor."

Back