Logo

Oil pouring out the water intake 1984 38 Stern Drive 800

jehrbear

"So, last year I winterized my

"So, last year I winterized my stern drive for the first time. Last year the gear oil was replaced by a mechanic when a couple of seals were replaced.
It is a 1984 stern drive 800. When I winterized it, I pulled the top dipstick and the bottom drain, and let it all drain out (or so I thought). Plugged it back up. Flash forward to spring, now, last night.
Last night, with the drive fairly verticle, pulled the top and bottom again, maybe a drizzle came out, then pulled the middle lower, and one other about 8 inches from the very top and a slightly coagulated goo of oil started draining out, about 2 cups worth....HMMM I said, I thought this thing was one cavity of oil and I thought I would have gotten it all out with the method I used. Yikes I said, but I just had 2 new seals installed last spring, so it should be ok over winter with some gear oil in the cavity (I now read I should have refilled it when i drained it, i'll do that next fall fo so)
So I let that oil drain out, and with the 3 plugs, plus the top dipstick removed, hooked up the pumper to the bottom drain, and started pumping new oil into the lower unit.
Oil reached the next drain hole, so I plugged that and continued pumping.
Noticed shortly after, that I felt slight resistance while pumping, and then a squishy gurgle, and could hear oil entering what I think is the upper part of the cavity.

Then

Oil started gushing out of the water intake, and that little hole in front of the water intake screen (bow side). Continued a few more pumps, and it would gush out with every pump.

Stopped pumping, plugged that bottom drain, and thought I would see how much oil was above that second drain plug so I removed that second plug....YEEEEOW, it had pressure build up at that point and sprayed me down head to waist with oil (hair, glasses dripping, shirt sprayed down), at this point, checking to ensure there were no children within 100 yards, yes I had enought sense still to think it through I vented my frustrations wiht every four letter word I could think of, then repeat until I felt better....I'm getting better, I used to throw things and punch stuff, now I just jump up and down and udder semi-curse words that only i understand.

So, did I do something wrong by attempting to fill gear oil like this? or am I back to the mechanic for more seals??????? The machanic is my 2nd cousin, so I trust that he pressure tested properly, in fact he tested, filled, and retested, but on the re-test, lost pressure, so had to tear it back down, and put in another seal. Not sure which 2 seals, again I trust him, and I'm not confident enough in my mechanical abilities....something I've also come to grips with after a few bad experiences with junk cars. My father told me wisdom only comes with age, then he would give me the pickle fork and a hammer to remove tie rods on his $50 buick station wagon...just to gitr to pass inspection
His wisdom gained was to let someone else do the work, even if I was only 11

Ok, enough babble, if you're still reading this post, can you give me some sound advise?"

"I'm no expert when it com

"I'm no expert when it comes to Stringer drives but it sounds to me like you were almost trying to fill it like a Cobra that shares oil between the upper and lower. With a Stringer you have 3 separate oil areas, the lower, upper and intermediate and I believe they all have to be done individually. Sounds like you built up some serious pressure in there and probably did damage some seals (or blew them out) When they pressure test a drive they normally only put maybe 15 psi in max and watch it for a while. I think a trip back to your mechanic is in order."

"Wow, is this really the case?

"Wow, is this really the case? It sounds like if it is, I know what went wrong, but I've heard and read from so many different people (even the guy that sold me the oil and filters that runs a marine repair shop, told me to fill from the bottom, all the way to the top.

If it's different separate areas, is there a 'chance' that if I take the pressure off, that the seals are fine? Just top off the 3 different separate sections and pressure test???? or did I screw up and blow the seal (only a pressure test would tell, but if you have an opinion I'd love to hear it).

It sounds like you know what you're talking about, but said you're no expert, can anybody else comment, or back this up? I'm feeling a bit stupid now if this is actually the case...

Thank you for your comments."

"First thing I would recommend

"First thing I would recommend you do is get yourself a service manual, if you can't find an OMC factory manual on ebay then you can always get an aftermarket Seloc or Clymers (I think you can order right from this site, up at the top you'll see a link for manuals). This way you will read and see with pictures the correct method to drain/fill the stringer drive. Personally I think you've blown out a seal but to do a proper pressure test you'll need to drain all the oil out again, they always pressure test them dry. I would still take it back to your buddy to check it out for you, there's no shame in making a mistake and admitting it and then learning from it....good luck!"

"Bob Hill is correct, I have t

"Bob Hill is correct, I have the same engine with the same outdrive and service it myself, there are 3 seperate drain/fill plugs , if you start with the very bottom this is the drain/fill for the lower unit the next one up is the full plug which is removed to make sure the lower unit is full. The next one above that is the drain/fill for the mid portion of the outdrive and the one above that is the full plug and so on and so forth. West marine has a very good service/overhaul manual for this drive. I am a mechanic for a commercial airline and do alot of car/boat and anything else that brakes around my house maintenence. If it were me I would make sure the drives are full of oil and then run the outdrive in gear in my driveway with the water hooked up for cooling then shut it down and check the levels again, you should be able to see if water has gotten into the outdrive or you should be able to see the oil come out. It may be possible that you created enough pressure to push the oil past the seals but not damage them and the seals postion themselves back into place once the pressure was released, remember that if the oil is coming out of the drive eventually it will run out and there will be nothing but water going into the area or a nice white milky mixture that indicates the oil has mixed with the water, be sure not to run it like that because it will damage the gears."

"Thank you for your input,

"Thank you for your input,

I am hoping this is all the damage that has been done, I think I'll pressure test that lower portion rather than doing a live test wtih oil. This sounds like a reasonable method for testing, but I would be concerned about running it over the summer not knowing if there was a 'slight' leak in the seals.
When I removed that plug second from the bottom, there was enough pressure to spray me from arms length from the top of my head down to my belt line, and dripping from my glasses (good thing I had glasses on, it would have hurt otherwise). It took me an hour to get regain composure. Hopefully once that pressure was released, the seal will just "seal" again. Anyone have any links to a homebuilt pressure tester for an old OMC?"

"A simple bicycle pump with a

"A simple bicycle pump with a guage on it or put a guage on it, I am assuming that you will filling the oil in the lower unit with a hand pump on an oil bottle so take that fitting of the end of that hose and put it on a bicycle pump hose"

"If my mechanic can't get

"If my mechanic can't get to it anytime soon, as it is the busy season for them...(still waiting on a callback) I just might try the pump with a gauge.
I'll be getting a detailed manual for this drive before attempting to do this procedure again. If I have to wait for a repair, might as well be certain it'll need one first.
Even if it is a teardown to put seals in, this repair was cheaper last year than renting a boat for a day in the summer, and a whole lot more fun. Thank you all for your support."

"Final thought for anyone else

"Final thought for anyone else reading this thread. My mechanic told me to run the motor in water for an hour (or with the hose/headphones), and check the lower fluid. If it's clear oil still there is most likely no damage to the seal. I had it out on the water last weekend, and watched the temp gauge closely and checked the lower 1/2 oil and don't see any issues, hopefully this hold true all year and beyond. Thanks again to all that contributed."

Back