Logo

1994 200 hp Saltwater Series TempOil alarms

prideprops

"Having problem with alarms so

"Having problem with alarms sounding. It started when I would cruise at 4300 rpm and after a minute both engine alarms would sound. I could cut the trottle back, put in neutral, and be able to criuse again but at lower rpm. Then it started at 2700 rpm but starboard engine wouldn't start again because of alarm - would have to wait a while before it would start again. Port engine alarm would go off but okay after putting in neutral as long as I stayed under 2700 rpm.

Now, I can't go over 1700 rpm with alarms sounding with same problems as above. It doesn't seem like the engine ran long enough (less than 1 minute) to get hot enough to sound alarms. Did see both the temp and oil alarm lights flashing. Water flowing great from pee holes and external oil tank full.

But, if I run the engines at the dock at 3100 rpm, no alarms! Hmmm.... And it seems like when the starboard alarm goes off, it causes the port alarm to go too - they both sound at the same time.

Frustrating. What should I check?"

"ime to test sensors and oil s

"ime to test sensors and oil sensors
might be water pump,t-stats and poppet time change"

Had a similar problem with our

Had a similar problem with our starboard engine last year. Seems the thermostat wouldn't open up enough to flow enough water at higher rpms. Still had water out tattle tale and ran fine on the hose untill rpms raised for a period of time. Replaced tstat and all is good. If I remember right it may have one on both sides of the motor?? Left one was bad on ours. Figured that out by running the motor and trying to touch the head to feel for over temp. This was on the 95 model 200hp saltwater series 2stroke.

Back