Logo

AQ151c no sparkcoil problem and thanks to EL Pasc

akdperry

"have a 19' glasply with a

"have a 19' glasply with a volvo penta aq151c engine. last year ran great. now, no spark. checked all the way to the coil, not getting power. can you bypass from battery to coil? not really wanting to rip into the wiring harness, but is it necessary? i have just ordered a pertronix ignition, and want to be up and running when it gets here. cleaned terminals on coil, and hints and finding the problem are greatly appreciated. also want to thank EL Pasc for helping me with my cooling problem, the hose connector on the outdrive was causing my overheating. seems like a VERY common cause of overheating on these older volvo penta engines"

"thats how mine was also...i c

"thats how mine was also...i couldnt get spark although there was power going to the coil, so I jus took my coil out of my 90 toyota pickup 22re and hooked it up and it got spark...maybe u can give that a try..."

"Turn the ignition key on and

"Turn the ignition key on and measure voltage between the + of the coil and ground: it should be 9 to 12V (depending on whether or not there is a ballast resistor installed). If no voltage is present, look at the thermal fuse by the ignition coil, as well as the ignition switch and safety neutral switch in the control (if installed). If there is voltage, the coil may be defective or the distributor is faulty (points, condenser).

A quick way to test is to temporarily hotwire the + of the coil with the + of the battery, then attempting to start (but remember that if it starts, the engine will not stop until you remove the jumper)."

Back