Logo

Volvo Penta Turbocharger

bonz145

"A friend of mine told me abou

"A friend of mine told me about a bolt on turbo charger that was used on older oldsmobile engines. A.K.A "Iron Duke" engines. He said that this could fit on to my Volvo Penta 230 and give me approx 100 extra hp. Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with this? Also, if this is true, would my outdrive be able to handle the extra hp?"

first off no engine can handle

first off no engine can handle a 100hp increase from a turbo with out work done to the main block maybe 20 hp at most and i dont think there is a turbo out there which can give 100hp increase

"first off no engine can h

"first off no engine can handle a 100hp increase from a turbo with out work done to the main block maybe 20 hp at most and i dont think there is a turbo out there which can give 100hp increase"

How very untrue!

"Indeed. There's guys runn

"Indeed. There's guys running 300HP in their 2.3 liter Volvos over on turbobricks. These are unmodified blocks too.

That being said, I don't think a turbo is really the proper thing for a boating application. Basically we need torque, lots of it to get out of the hole. A turbo operates on a completely different principle. You sacrifice torque for power up higher in the powerband. I've got a couple turbo Volvos that are complete dogs below 2500 RPM but once the boost builds, they will throw you back into the seat cushion."

My objective is to "get ou

My objective is to "get out of the hole" when pulling waterskiiers/wakeboarders. It sounds like a turbocharger would not help me with torque. What would help increase torque?

"Other than installer an engin

"Other than installer an engine with more HP, a prop with less pitch and more diameter will give you more thrust (but less top end speed). Also, a propeller with less pitch but same diameter will make the boat plane faster."

Back