Logo

Hard Starting Issue 454 Crusaderbs

"My 454s take awile to start a

"My 454s take awile to start after not being started for awhile, say a week. History: both engines have been almost repowered, both have compression across all 16 cyl 142-146, new Edlebrock performer series marine carbs to replace spread bore to sq bore matching port adapter plates, electric choke w/chokes set just as chock plate begins to open when cold, new flamethrower petronix distributors, HO coils (60,000 volts) wires to match, new stock fuel pumps, new racor water fuel seperators, raw water and fresh water pumps, exhuast manifolds, risers and elbows. When I go to start it takes cranking over for a good 45 sec. and pumping on the throttles to get them to fire and once they begin to fire up I have to keep pumping the throttle. Once they start, they run like a dream. Would installing new electric fuel pumps w/low oil cut off sender, solve this hard starting problem? Thanks for assistance with possible solutions!"

"..."Would installing new

"..."Would installing new electric fuel pumps w/low oil cut off sender, solve this hard starting problem?"

Yes. But you can try this little trick of mine (for free):

Before leaving the boat (and assuming it has sat for at least an hour after your run), restart both engines. Run them for 20 seconds, maximum, and shut off. That refills the now cool carbs so they aren't as dry next time you use the boat.

Jeff"

Back