Logo

Ignition problem

bowrider

"I have a 1971 evinrude 60hp w

"I have a 1971 evinrude 60hp with electric shift that I got from my inlaws. It has been sitting for 20 years. I have put new amp and coil, plugs, adjusted the points cleaned the distributer, rotor and points, impeller and new battery. I took it to the shop and they rebuilt the carbs and when I got it back it ran great but had to choke it off. Joe Reeves explained to me the blocking diode and I checked and it was bad so I replaced it and then you could shut it down with the switch. But now it won't run at an idle. I took it back to the shop and they said that at an idle the spark was sparatic, get it past idle it was good. I had a spare distributer, rotor and points and they changed them out but still have the sparatic spark at an idle, but above idle it runs great. Can anyone help with this problem? Thanks for any help in advance."

"(Point Setting Of Battery

"(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!"

"Thanks Joe, The shop called m

"Thanks Joe, The shop called me and told me that they still couldn't find the problem and it would cost more that it was worth to fix. I went and picked it up and when i got home adjusted the points per your directions and took it to the lake and now it idles great. Thanks for all the help"

Back