Logo

Oil in 78 stringer lower unit omc

C

craig cozadd

"I took bottom plug out of low

"I took bottom plug out of lower unit and it ran out about a half a cup of water before oil came out, where would this water come from?,had upper unit rebuilt last fall and new water pump put in lower unit, hasnt been started or in the water yet this year, is it possible prop seal is leaking? from setting outside over winter?"

"So you never ran it after you

"So you never ran it after you got it back last year? That water must have sat in there over the winter, maybe from when they tested?"

There isn't a water pump i

There isn't a water pump in the lower unit!! Hope you didn't pay to have one put in. It should have been replaced when they rebuilt the upper seeing how that's where it's at.

"should I be worried about thi

"should I be worried about this water?,I havent had in the water since I got it back last year,is there a way to check this ? or should I just keep and eye on the oil after I put it in the water? yes I think they told me they replaced the water pump impeller when the upper drive was rebuilt before they put the upper and lower together."

"yes,worry - pressure test th

"yes,worry - pressure test the lower and find the leak and fix it. Those hydromech lowers HATE water!
You need to remove the shift cable and get a piece of 5/8" heater hose and a bolt to clamp it off because the cableways are the vent for the outdrive."

Back