Logo

8V92 Engine Troubles

dirtbiker245

"I am part of an organization

"I am part of an organization that owns a 63' 1944 Fellows & Stewart AVR. The ship currently has 2 8V-92 Twin Turbo, Detroit Diesels. We are a non profit organization, so because of that, we do all of the repairs/maintenance on the boat ourselves.
The Engines were recently rebuilt and each has approx. 350 hours. When we first acquired the boat, it had about 280 hours on the motors and would do just under 30 knots at maximum speed. While cruising at 24 knots, the starboard engine heated up and cracked a head. We replaced it and had some help from a local marine diesel mechanic and got the engine back to full working order.

Now, however, we have not been able to get the ship to anything above 24 knots on a good smooth day and the starboard engine smokes white for about 10 minutes on start and while at idle, but the smoke dissipates once the engine is under a load. It is smoking less and less as time goes by as well. Right after we did the work after the head cracked, it would smoke for 30 minutes or so.

Funny part however is that that starboard engine (the one that smokes) will run at higher rpms then the port (the non-smoking one). The port one will usually top out at around 1700 rpms, while starboard will go close to 1900.

So my questions are... What could the smoke be being caused by? Or what should we do to test things to find out what is causing it.

My other question is could the port engine possibly have a bad injector that would cause it to not want to go up in rpms?

Thanks so much for any help that you can give us!"

"White smoke is caused by wate

"White smoke is caused by water vapor in the exhaust or un-burnt atomized fuel (not enough air to fuel, cylinder not firing and caring unburned atomized fuel through the exhaust). The first is usually caused by a leaking head gasket, cracked head or cracked liner allowing water into the combustion chamber.
I would check the injectors of both engines by pulling them and bench testing. If the STBD engine still smokes white I would pull the head and check the gasket and liner.
The port engine will most likely improve with a fuel system tune up."

Back