Logo

AQ125A problems %3cIMG SRC%3d%22httpwwwmarineenginecomdiscusclipartsadgif%22 ALT%3d%22%22 BORDER%3d0%3e

Rats...

Continued problems

Rats...

Continued problems with the AQ125A engine today.

Found out that in order to roate the clamp we may have to remove the transom otherwise the entire engine will fall into the boat. Are there any inexpensive ways of doing this or best way to support the engine while I rotate it?

Additionally went to start the boat today and there is no spark coming from the distributor and additionally no fuel being pumped into the carborator.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated from anyone else who knows Aq125A engines or has worked on them.

Thanks!

"I think you got the wrong inf

"I think you got the wrong information.

You can easily support the engine by just placing a beam port to starboard on the boat gunnels (4" x 4" wood will suffice) then tie a sling below the front pulley and then to the beam. Then place blocks under the beam on each side until you lift the engine to the level you want (for added safety, you can also place some wood blocks under the front side of the engine). Now that you know the engine won't fall into the boat, loosen the bolts in the clamp just enough to be able to rotate the whole engine and bellhousing until the marks in the bellhousing and transom shield line-up. Then tighten the bolts again and you are done.

There could be a number of reasons why you have no spark coming out the distributor: a defective coil, wrong wiring, points wrongly set, etc. Next time you attempt to start, if there is no spark, run a temporary wire (with alligator clamps at each side) from the positive of the battery to the positive of the coil and try again. If it starts, the problem is likely wrong wiring or faulty ignition switch. If it does not, either the distributor or the coil are the problem.

And to prime the fuel pump, you may want to install temporarily a fuel hose with a priming bulb (same type as the ones utilized for outboards) so that you can suck fuel from the boat's tank into the fuel pump and carbs. After the engine has started, you can stop and replace the hose with the bulb for the hose or pipe you normally have connected between the fuel tank and the fuel pump.

It ain't the end of the world. Be patient and you will get the job done."

Back