Logo

OMC 1988 Cobra43 Overheating

edags

"Need some advice badly. I&#39

"Need some advice badly. I've spent over 1,000 and still have the same problem. Low idle overheat-open the throttle and it cools to almost normal rage (170) degrees. Lower the RPM's and it begins to over heat. It will overheat if I let it idle to long. Sure kills my trolling ability. Best I know, this boat has never seen salt water. Almost mint condition inside and outside.
Parts they replaced:
New 160 degree Stat:
New out drive Pump impeller and housing:
New circulating Pump:
When the motor and outdrive are running with a water hose and set of duel-flow ears, temp stays at 170.
Drop in in the lake and it over heats at low RPM?
Where I live it costs 80 an hour for labor. I included the winterization end of 06 which included the removal of the outdrive and winterization in the 1,000. Now they want it back again and told me to leave it. Don't have that kind of check book.
I'm fairly handy with tools and I do have some literature about the out drive and motor Re: Owners manual for the out drive and 4.3 Chev motor. I keep wanting to start but have no idea where to begin? This is my first I/O.
Sure would like some advice on how to start eliminating possible problem areas to get to the answer. The motor has no known problems I know of. Neither does the Cobra outdrive. Bought this boat late in the season of 06. Did not overheat until I had this "professional shop: winterize it. Perhaps I'm not being fair saying that but: I didn't have the overheating problem end of last Season? I really like this fish and ski Bomber boat, fast and very stable with all the lights a bells for fishing.
One last thing:
After returning from the lake yesterday, I took off the cover on the outdrive, took off the pump housing and inspected the inpeller. I noticed that a few of the blades were facing in the opposite direction from the others? I called the Marine shop who installed it and they told me,
That's ok and normal, the blades that are not in the same direction act to help water pick up." Is that true? Also, there is a small hose attached to the out-drive pump housing and I have no idea what that does. It looked to be in good condition Re: soft not brittle, no signs of ware. Sure hope somebody out there can save this old man and his boat?
Thanks For Listening:
Ed L."

"Also, dumb question but is th

"Also, dumb question but is the belt going to the water pump pully tight, or could it be slipping? (word of warning, I have only been working on motors and my Cobra 4.3L 1989 w/ OMC Stern Drive for about 1 year... but I've done some stuff on it. Same situation, don't want to pay a bazillion dollars at the shop.)"

"Also, check out Jorge Finol&#

"Also, check out Jorge Finol's latest post. Sounds very similar to your situation. Interesting. They recently switched the gas mixtures, which supposedely clogs fuel filters, but I don't yet see how it could be related to the low RPMs overheat issue..."

"how do you put your drive sha

"how do you put your drive shaft back in the outboard motor? Had a hard time removing, and it will not go back in.............Stumped"

Back