Logo

Stuck Throttle

purevil

"This past Saturday I was out

"This past Saturday I was out on the water and everything was fine. Today we went out and at first all was well, I pushed in the button on my throttle and slid the throttle forward to start her up and no issues. A few min of warming up, I pulled the throttle back to neutral to ingage the drive and the throttle would not move forward or backward. If I push in the button, still nothing. My throttle just will not move. Suggestions please on what I can do or check!!!!"

"What kind of Boat?
check to

"What kind of Boat?
check to see if the carb. linkage is moving when trying to throttle up, if Not then try to look behind the remote to see if either one of the cables have came loose.they are held on with
C-clips . You will have one that connects to the throttle and the other to engage
into forword and reverse gears, You say you push button and moved throttle forward, yours may be different then mine. I must pull the lever out then push lever forward,this allows it to be reved up without engaging gears, the button is to unlock it from neutral position and allow it to engage into gear either forward or reverse."

"tell us what kind of Boat, th

"tell us what kind of Boat, then I'm Sure
El Pescador can hook you up with a link to the Schematic on your remote and it will assist in helping to resolve the problem,"

"Sorry guys, it's a 1999 L

"Sorry guys, it's a 1999 Larson LXI with a 5.0 GL Penta in her. I looked and the cables are connected. It's just odd how 2 days ago it worked fine, now not at all. Thanks for the help!!!"

"I would disconnect the thrott

"I would disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and move the carb butterfly by hand. If it moves, then (provided the boat is on a trailer) I would disconnect the shift cable from the outdrive and try again. If it still does not move, then I would remove the control (which I assume is a single lever side mount) and look at the internals, which is where you will likely find the problem. Control cables seldom stick so badly (and so quickly) that you cannot move the control lever all of a sudden."

"Do you know if your boat has

"Do you know if your boat has a Trolling Valve Safety switch ? if so this is what I have found out. "The trolling valve safety device means for limiting the actuation of the engine throttle locking when the trolling valve is engaged and releasing when the trolling valve is disengaged. limiting the actuation of the throttle from its idle position,"

But I think these are mostly found on Fishing Boats."

"I looked behind the remote an

"I looked behind the remote and the cables are attached, they are held on by cotter pins. it is so tight in there i can't even get the cotter pins out to disco the cables from the remote. I did disco from the carb and the carb moves freely. On the outside of the remote, I have 6 screws mounting it, but when I take them out the handle on the outside,still keeps the remote from coming off to take a closer look at what could be binding it. Also, I see there is 2 wires going into a connector on the back side of the remote. Why would this be there, could it be the culprit? Never expected to see wires going to what I thought as a manual remote throttle."

"The two wires are likely conn

"The two wires are likely connected to the neutral safety switch, which prevents you from starting the engine if the control lever is not in neutral."

"Sidemount remotes are usually

"Sidemount remotes are usually bolted to the side panel with 3 or 4 screws. Locate them, remove them and slide the control out. Then, depending on how the cables are attached, you may have to remove them prior or after removing the control from the panel."

"To be some more specific:
If

"To be some more specific:
If a Volvo/Tecnoflex remote (concealed side-mount);
Loosen the allen-screw that holds the handle, pull off the handle. (this is normally impossible due to corrosion - good luck).
Pry off the plastic cover with a screw-driver.
Then You get access to the 4 screws mentioned above."

"Morten, this sounds like mine

"Morten, this sounds like mine. I did try to remove the 6 mounting screws, but the handle is larger than the hole it comes through, so I was trying to get the handle off. I will look for an allen screw today, although I didn't notice anything when I looed it over yesterday. There was just a slot in the bottom that gave an small view into the handle, nothing more. I will look though, TY, to all of you"

"the lever may have a cap over

"the lever may have a cap over the center that can be removed ,revealing one more screw in the center that is left holding the lever to the shaft, I just removed the one on my boat over the weekend, Although might be some what different in design, once this screw was removed the remote unit fell thru the back side droping down so I could get a better look at it, Thats when I found that one of the C-clips were missing causing the slop in the control lever, anyway! if your is similar in design except your cables being held on by cotter pins, you can then remove the cables and bring the controls out to get a better look,
check to see if it has a flat pc. of metal size
approx 3/4 inch X 1 1/4 inch with a slight bend on one end of it, mine was brass in color this is some kind of retention tab although yours may have a spring instead. and this spring may have broken and got in a position to cause the lever to lock up. Good Luck"

"Or, as was my case---86 bayli

"Or, as was my case---86 bayliner, the middle screw came loose and wouldn't always engage when I moved the throttle. Just something else to ponder."

"Well, there was a screw in th

"Well, there was a screw in the middle of the button in the center of the remote, but all it did was remove the button. The throttle handle is still stuck to the remote, grrr. I see no other screws or anything to remove, could the handle be pressed on? there is a spine shaft in the middle where the button was/goes through."

"you can see the splines? Hmmm

"you can see the splines? Hmmmm! the lever should have the matching splines as well,
Kinda like the way a
hand crank car window regulator works, it shouldn't be pressed on though. look closely for a C-clip around where the splines and lever comes together, or maybe you have found the reason for it being locked up in the first place, the lever should have just about fell off once the center screw was removed.
what you think
EL Pescador? or others? got any more ideas?"

"The center screw only holds t

"The center screw only holds the top of the center button on, it does nothing for the handle as the handle has a hole the button falls right into. There is no c-clip around the shaft, just the handle side, outside, of the remote has splines on the inside of the hole and it goes around a round shaft coming in from the inside section. It looks as if it all moves together and the splines hold it tight. I tried to hammer and press them apart with no luck. Maybe i need a larger hammer, like a 10# sledge, lol."

"Well, I found two screws on t

"Well, I found two screws on the backside of the handle that seperates the front like a cover. After an amazingly lucky hour of removing the screws, the front opened up revealing two philips screws around the center section. One came right out, one is half covered by the handle and the handle needs rotated to remove. Since the handle is stuck, I cant remove it to see if this will even seperate the remote, suggestions?"

"When it comes to suggestions,

"When it comes to suggestions, uploading a picture of the control (the way it is now) would probably help. However, when things reach that point, the story usually ends with the installation of a new control after having dissected the old one during the removal process. Luckily, they are not too expensive."

"Adjusting the cables is usual

"Adjusting the cables is usually a piece of cake. Besides, the fine adjustmend is done at the engine and outdrive ends."

"Well, I finally figured it ou

"Well, I finally figured it out, thanks to a stranger who just happened to be in the right place at the right time for me. I thought I'd pass on my lessons learned for anyone else that may come across this and need help. As I have a Concealed Remote Control on my boat, there was a 1/8" allen bolt that was keeping me from separating the handle and the main linkage. But, to get to the allen I had to be in reverse and full throttle. Now, since my linkage was stuck I had no idea about this till this man told me how he'd came across a similar issue and that in his case there was a bearing that acted as a detent between Neutral, forward, and reverse. He found the bearing to cease due to a wore metal plate that slid along the bearing. He told me to try and find the slot with the bearing and push it in as i move my throttle. I did just this and it definitely worked. Hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks for all your help on here!!!"

"Scott, Glad that you got the

"Scott, Glad that you got the information you needed to fix your locked up lever,
thumbs_up.gif
, sounds like basically all the control lever was in the need of was a little penetrating oil and lubricant
crazy.gif
Oh-well! Now get-r-back together and ready for a weekend on the water>>>
sun.gif
"

"I did replace the control. Pu

"I did replace the control. Pushing in the bearing only unlocked it for that instant. As soon as I'd pass neutral it'd lock right back up. Oh well, replacing it was easy, the only thing difficult was dealing with the cost, lol."

Back