Logo

Cooling system for a 1959 35 hr Johnson

stewart

"I have a 1959 Johnson I just

"I have a 1959 Johnson I just bought. The outboard runs great,but there is no water discharge from the exhaust that I can see. I ran the engine in the lake for 10 minutes and it seems to be running fine. Any quick way to see if the cooling system is working. This was an inexpensive buy,however prospects of repair may be costly. Any info would be appreciated....Stewart"

I think you could remove the t

I think you could remove the thermostat cover on top of the cylinder head. Put it in the water start it up and see if you have a mini "old faithful".

Thanks! not-a-student. I ran t

Thanks! not-a-student. I ran the outboard with the thermostate housing loose then finally took it off and low and behold no coolant flow. I will start with the impeller and work up. Any idea how difficult this is? It's been a few years since I tore down an outboard. Thanks again.
Stewart

"great motor. If you dont kno

"great motor. If you dont know the last time the water pump impeller has been replaced you might want to consider it. It is sugessted that you replace them every 2-3 years. Last year I replaced the impeller on a 59 35hp evinrude. well worth it for the peice of mind, and not that difficult. cost of impeller is around $15. As suggested above, when you have the t-stat cover off , check the the small hole in the top of the t-stat for debris. I think it is responsible for water discharge at idle. Also suspend t-stat in a pot of water and heat it up and see if it opens, check temp with therometer, should open around 143 degrees"

Back