Logo

Replace Rochester Qjets with EFI

donk

"I have researched several aft

"I have researched several aftermarket fuel injection systems for marine applications, (esp.from Holley)to replace the rochester quadrajets on my 454's.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of retro-fit?

It seems pretty straight forward, but I am curious if anyone has done this, and did they realize any of the benefits one would expect...(i.e. better performance, economy, response, etc.)

It seems that no matter how freshly tuned the q-js are, they seem to run rich, and I have to detail them just about every season.

The kits are are around $2,200 per motor. would this be money well spent?"

"or, as an alternative to the

"or, as an alternative to the previous...
Holley "double pumpers" instead of the Rochesters?

is there a benefit?

I have always been a fan of "OEM", and the crusaders came with the q-jets. But geeze...for running them 100-200 hours a year at the mooost, they sure go "off" pretty quick."

"EFI conversions are a nightma

"EFI conversions are a nightmare! Go with the Holleys and you'll be better off.

On the Q-jets, the floats probably need replacement. They absorb gas and dont 'float' correctly. Common problem.

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff,

I now have 3

"Thanks Jeff,

I now have 3 complete sets of rochesters...for awhile it was easier to buy rebuilts (when they were readily available). Over the last few years I've rebuilt them countless times..while good carbs, I just don't seem to get any more than a season out of them before needing to rebuild again, plus they always seem to run too rich.

On a lot of hotrod websites, they general consensus is that holleys are great for the drag strip and "thirsty" on the street. Do you think this applies to boats?"

Back