Logo

WONT PLANE

robertmayton

"I am running a 16 foot redfin

"I am running a 16 foot redfin boat.

I had a 76 model 70hp evinrude that would run great in the driveway but when you would put it in water it would barely idle or run.

So, I swapped it with a recently tuned up (according to the prev. owner) 73 model 65 hp(After i picked up the motor i was enlightened that it was tuned 2 years ago before being put in storage)!

But eitherway, it is the same way (running great in the driveway) except it will idle like a top when in the water....then when you accellerate it pulls hard until about 4000rpm then it just bogs down and "pushes" the boat. It will not plane the boat or move faster than about 10 - 15 mph.

I tried to move the tilt pin up and down but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated!"

It is very likely gummed up ca

It is very likely gummed up carburetor jets from sitting with fuel in them.Easy to dismantle and clean.Make sure you remove the high speed jet in the bottom of to bowl for cleaning.Running a motor in the driveway really tells you nothing ( other than that it runs ) since there is no load on the motor.

someone told me i may have the

someone told me i may have the wrong prop so i checked the prop and it has 13 x 19 stamped on it.....what does that mean?

"that means that the prop is a

"that means that the prop is a 13 diameter,and 19" pitch,which,is fairly stout for a 70.13x17 is a good all around pitch for a 70,unless its a light,fast lil bass rig.Rpm's is the way to set up your prop.you want it to be set up to turn about 5500 at wide open throttle,w/a good throttle response out of the water."

I called the local boat shop a

I called the local boat shop and they said that i probably (due to the size and weight of my boat)(and the small size of the motor) need a 15 pitch....does that sound right?

"according to your first post,

"according to your first post,..i would thoroughly check out the engine.Compression/Spark/Fuel."

Back