Logo

454 crusaders in 29 blackfin flybridge Too many hours

brian_from_boston

Contributing Member
I am currently under agreement

I am currently under agreement of a 1988 Blackfin with twin 454 crusaders. The engines have 1500 hours on them. During sea trial and survey is there anything special I should pay close attention to? How many hours can you expect the engines to last? What kind of compression should I see from the engines? Hope you guys have some good advice on this one.

"Also have 1988 454's, abo

"Also have 1988 454's, about 1,000hrs. Compression should be in the 145-155 range, take a good look at the risers and elbows for leaks, if haven't been changed may want to do that, ours were 10 yrs old and 1/2-3/4 clogged. From my research they can run 2,000 hrs plus if well maintained and some much longer."

There is a Bertram 31 for sale

There is a Bertram 31 for sale with 2200 hrs on it's Crusaders. Damn reliable.

"Thank you for the input guys.

"Thank you for the input guys. I have also read on here that using a temp gun on the motor can tell alot. Other than the risers and manifolds, anywhere else I should be checking the temp?? Sea trial at the end of the week. Once again you guys are a wealth of information and appreciate any advice given."

"Sea trial went well, in order

"Sea trial went well, in order to put dripless shaft seals on the shafts does the boat have to out of the water?? The compression tests read between 135-140 on all cylinders of both motors."

Dripless seals usually require

Dripless seals usually require the shafts be shortened. You might look into Teflon packing first. I've een delighted with how well that stuff works: very low drip rate and no maintenance for years.

Jeff

Back