Logo

1985 OMC Stringer 400 Tilt Motor

J

John Mason

"I've had intermittent pro

"I've had intermittent problems with the tilt motor lifting the out drive. The selenoids click but it sometimes would take a few tries to get it to come out of the water.

Well, now it won't come up. I changed the oil in the upper/lower/intermediate units and left it in the down position for the winter (stored in basement garage)... winter was very mild so there was no worry of anything freezing.

Anyhow, the selenoids click and I've verified power with a light probe. Power is getting through them... but the tilt motor makes no sound.

I've charged the battery, but haven't tried the starter yet (so I don't no if the battery is fully charged - the charger reads 90% charged). If the battery was low, would the motor at least make some noise?

Assuming the battery is fully charged, any ideas on what to look at next? Right now I am planning to pull the trim motor, tear it down, clean everything up, and replace the brushes... any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance... John."

I would not rule out the batte

I would not rule out the battery. Mine had similar symtons and was even able to start the boat. I found out that if the boat did not start immediately after I changed the fuel filter then the battery died. Since this showed my battery even though charged was not up to par I replaced it. I have had no problem with the tilt motor since. I wasted some time metering out solenoid and stuff. So check your battery first.

"*** Update *&

"*** Update ***
Well, I decided to pull the tilt motor last night. Hooked it straight to the battery... nothing. But, if I spun the shaft with my fingers while it was hooked to the battery then it would start turning.

I opened the motor expecting to find the brushes worn out... well in addition to worn brushes, water had entered it from when we had a transom seal leaking last year (one of the tilt motor's seals was improperly installed). The brushes were worn, but everything was wet & oily, and some of the internal contacts were corroded.

So, for $105 I ordered a new tilt motor this morning... It should be in in tomorrow!
proud.gif

Thanks for your suggestion... the battery could still be having trouble, but the motor didn't look good either.

John."

Back