Logo

1989 43L V6 OVERHEATING

frustrated

"took out thermostat, put in n

"took out thermostat, put in new impeller, lower unit seems to be getting water to motor. Runs fine on "earmuffs" but under load heats up immediately. Manifold is HOT. Please help."

If manifolds are getting '

If manifolds are getting 'hot' You are either not getting enough water or water passage is blocked somewhere. It might even be caused by back-pressure. Taking out the thermostat may even make it worse!

How do I determine if the wate

How do I determine if the water passage is blocked? There is a lot of rust when I removed the drain plugs on the manifolds. How do I clear all of that out?

"Take them to a radiator shop

"Take them to a radiator shop and give them a 'bath'. At the same time when thy are off the engine check Your flapper valves that they are still in the exhaust-Y. If not, be sure they are not stuck anywhere blocking exhaust passage, You probably have to remove the drive if they are missing. Another 'action' might be at the same time to 'split' the drive and check the rubber seals and guide for the water tube in the drive. If not enough water, they may have been burned making the water pump suck air."

"Also, I noticed earlier when

"Also, I noticed earlier when hooked to the "earmuffs" that at 2500 to 3000 rpm that in the little "vent" hole in the bottom of the lower unit that streams water (next to the "earmuffs") would spray water and then stop, then start again, etc. at this rpm. At lower rpm, it stayed consistent. Would this be caused by air sucking or blockage? Any additional ideas? Am willing to try anything prior to having to take it all apart."

"The hole You are talking abou

"The hole You are talking about is probably just one of the drain holes.
Unfortunately taking it apart is the only way to do it properly!
If it does not work under load in conditions where it's supposed to work,take appart and be sure it is as should be. Running on muffs is a waste of time and is only intended for washing out the cooling system, not 'testing'."

Check on the engine for a bad

Check on the engine for a bad thermostat or a bad water pump impellor.

Back