Logo

Quality outdrive

jackspivey2

Contributing Member
"I am looking at purchasing a

"I am looking at purchasing a 1993 Four Winns with the 5.8L 240hp motor and OMC Cobra outdrive (fifteen spline prop shaft). I have been reading up and see that Volvo and OMC merged in '93 and was wondering if I am getting a quality outdrive. I have been a mercruiser user untill now, so I would appreciate any info concerning the reliability and quality this model OMC. Once again thanks in advance for your help!"

"Another thing, this boat has

"Another thing, this boat has been sitting for about 6 years, would you recommend changing the water pump before use? I have bought oil and filter for the motor and I am going to change the outdrive oil before starting. I hear the water pumps are easier to change on the OMC than the Alpha. Any thoughts?"

"I don't think the merged

"I don't think the merged products came out until 1994, on those ones the raw water pump is belt driven off the engine. The 1993 and earlier water pumps are in the upper gear housing, still much easier to replace than Merc's. You have to keep in mind that OMC is out of business so parts and service are not as easy to get as Merc's and some parts costs are at a premium if you can get them. The 5.8 had different versions in 1993 some were carbed, some had EFI, there were some with a dog clutch drive and some with a cone clutch drive.

If the drive has been sitting for 6 years I would replace the impellar for sure, it has taken a set by now, I would want to also check the bellows and u-joints, gimbal bearing. Anything that would normally have annual maint."

"I appreciate the info. It is

"I appreciate the info. It is an EFI motor, not sure whether that helps determining the dog/cone clutch drive question. Which is better and how do I tell the difference?"

"Well...there a couple of quic

"Well...there a couple of quick ways to tell, for your year if it says King Cobra on it it will be a cone clutch, the drive is also wider than a normal Cobra but that would be hard for you tell unless they were side by side. Another subtle but recognizable difference is the top of the cone drive will have a hump like appearance where as the Cobra clutch dog is flat, see below picture (I borrowed from another post) for a sample of a cone with the hump on the top. As for which is better? There is no question that a properly running cone clutch shifts much easier and smoother than the clutch dog style. However they can also be harder to find parts and service. Best to check around where you plan to boat to see if there are any older type OMC's dealers/mechanics and see what they say about servicing.

80272.jpg
"

"Ok i think it is a dog clutch

"Ok i think it is a dog clutch. The one I am looking at is not a "King", just a Cobra. I don't recall the hump being there. I guess I will just have to see if the price is worth it when I get the work done for him. I am fixing it up for a relative to sell, and might purchase myself when it's all said and done. Once again thanks for the info!"

Back