Logo

AQ 125 B PROBLEM

kmac

i have a 1985 bAYLINER with a

i have a 1985 bAYLINER with a 2.1 liter volvo penta engine model AQ125B does not run really at all. extreme trouble starting it. it backfires and flame shoots from the carburator. once i do get it started it cant go below 3000 rpm's or it sputers down and back fires and stalls. i put a carburator rebuild kit in it that i got from NAPA but it didnt make a difference. ive got a SOLEX carb. from what i hear this things junk. any ideas?

Not be surpriced if the belt h

Not be surpriced if the belt has jumped. Strip down the front and check the alignment marks.

"Yep, the timing belt has jump

"Yep, the timing belt has jumped. All the signs point at it. Make sure the pulley cogs are nice and clean."

"I agree, sounds like the timi

"I agree, sounds like the timing,
Have you checked to be sure the wires are in the correct location to the firing order?
Check for crack in the dist. cap, try to rule out all the simple things first, then you can start thinking about the cam and jumped timing.
would this be a 4cyl with an Over head cam?"

"yes it is, the wires arnt cro

"yes it is, the wires arnt crossed i already checked, as for a cracked distributer i didnt look, im in the provcess of striping down the front of the engine to check the alignment. can some one help me with that, what do i look for to see if its aligned"

Back