Logo

Cant get intermediate housing off

kmac

ive got an 84sea sprite with a

ive got an 84sea sprite with a 2.5 liter GM engine with an OMC outdrive. ive got the engine out of the boat and the lower unit off but i cant seperate the intermedieate housing from the engine block...i think i broke the crankshaft or lost a rod so im trying to strip down for diagnosis

"if you have all the bolts out

"if you have all the bolts out, and the plate off the bottom,( I assume you do)its probably just stuck on the alignment pins. give it some penetrant, a good whack, and a talking to."

"Sorry, but it has a very naug

"Sorry, but it has a very naughty habbit of getting corroded/stuck in the fly-wheel coupling!
Have sometimed been forced to drill a hole in the intermediate housing to unscrew the coupling from the fly-wheel to get it off. Not easy, whatch where You drill so You do not just get into an exhaust chamber!"

"apologies for not properly re

"apologies for not properly reading original post. coupler was a spring plate type, right? so bolts on outer diameter of flywheel. sorry Kevin for bad advice. and congradulations Mr. R."

im not sure if its a spring ty

im not sure if its a spring type plate and i really dont want to drill holes in anything can you give me a little more info this is my first marine engine tear down plus im only 17 so im lacking some of the knowledge on this type of stuff

"It is not a spring type coupl

"It is not a spring type coupling, but a splined big 'washer' type that is bolted to the cranck/flyehweel with the fly wheel bolts. Pos 55 on attached pic.
80184.gif
"

"man, that's a tough one!

"man, that's a tough one! I would be afraid to drill a hole in the adapter housing to access coupler bolts. not sure where water passages are. might try a bridge puller on the ball gear, but not promising. no good place to get a purchase. I think I would attempt to pry/wedge adapter housing from block. all options I can think of risk expensive damage. not a good deal there."

is the flywheel bolted to the

is the flywheel bolted to the engine and bolted to the intermediate housing?

"No it's not. How would th

"No it's not. How would that work??? Your driveshaft is stuck in the coupler as was said earlier. All you can do is pry and hope it comes before something else, housing?, breaks. You could possibly drill the hole for penetrent oil but it would have to be well placed. Sorry to say but I have been there before and the outcomes have not been nice."

Back