Logo

OMC 165 prop drive pin

O

Orval DeBoer

I hit a rock and sheared the d

I hit a rock and sheared the drive pin that holds the prop on. I have some new ones on order but if they taker a while can I make one out of the straight shank of a bolt? I am not sure what the grade or sheer strenght should be. Can anybody help me with the specs. for this?

I've seen guys make them o

I've seen guys make them out of grade 8 bolts all the time. I've had them come into the shop with nothing more than a hardware store 3/8 bolt and nut affair on them with no cone.

"Well the drive pins I ordered

"Well the drive pins I ordered came in today so I don't need to make something.
Boat Doc,
A grade 8 bolt seems really hard are you sure. i would think it would need to be something softer like grade 5 or less but have no idea. I did take a file to the old one and its not real soft.

We are struggle with low water levels here at Lake Huron. The bay I put the boat in is very low. The marine shop showed me the pile of props that have been brought in already this spring for repair. Anyway I got of the channel that was dregged out of the bay a few year ago and hit a sand bar and rock and hense the sheer pin. Once you get to the ST Clair river and Lake Huron it happy boating but getting there is tricky."

"Remember, these are DRIVE pin

"Remember, these are DRIVE pins NOT shear pins. The hub is rubber in these props and this is what takes up the shock of shifting and the brunt of impact. They are not designed to shear, in fact I have seen several, several hubs broke right at the hole where the drive pin goes thru."

Back