Logo

1987 23 Cobra acceleration

sacobra

I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri 1

I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri 17' with 2.3liter cobra. It runs fine on the muffs but when I get it in the water it boggs on acceleration. I can get it to plane if I am easy on the throttle but that doesn't work for water skiing. When I get hard on the throttle it starts to accelerate but then the choke pulldown seems to close like it is losing vacuum or something. I checked the base of the carb for vacuum leaks but didn't find any. The carb pops on hard acceleration also. Does anyone have any ideas? The engine and outdrive are both rebuilt with less then 10 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

"Had simular issues last year,

"Had simular issues last year, my timing was out, just got it fixed up now as of a few hours ago, timing should be 10degrees btc.

lean run like mention can be your cause too"

"I have encountered a similar

"I have encountered a similar problem with my 1998 OMC 2.3. I had an overheating problem. When the circulating pump was being changed, it was noticed that the timing belt was getting ready to break so it was changed out too with a new tensioner. Now, I have no hole shot at all. Before, this boat popped up quick and planed within seconds. Now, IF I can get it to plane out at all, it takes several minutes. I have noticed too that my top speed has fallen from 37 to 32.

My mechanic says the timing is correct but I'm not sure what it actually supposed to be on these 89 models."

"My mechanic says the timing i

"My mechanic says the timing is correct but I'm not sure what it actually supposed to be on these 89 models.

I dont have a online book to explain, the engine timing is checked by taking your covers off and making sure the crank and camshaft timing marks are lined up. I have a 89 2.3 with a distributer, assuming its the same as mine(you mentioned 98 model), after engine timing is confermed correct, confirm ignition timing is correct. If you check ignition timing first and adjust that with incorrect engine timing, your walking backwards.

If your engine ran great before the mechanic worked on the boat and now runs poor, your mechanic most likly did something wrong unless by coincdense something else failed when you recieved the boat.

Like Scott said, do your simple checks first."

Back