Logo

57 Volvo Penta 3rd cylinder still filling with water

lake_rat

"Got a lemon of a motor on my

"Got a lemon of a motor on my hands. Initially I thought I would get away with replacing the bad exhaust gasket, and went ahead and replaced the manifold as well. Motor started up fine, and ran for a while. Next morning, came back, tried to fire her up, to hear a grinding noise. Pulled the suspect plug, and water came out again. What are the chances of it being the intake gasket? There is no water in the oil, after running the boat for 2 hours, at full speed, and idle speed, checked the dip stick, and oil is nice and yellow. Boat never over heated nor did my oil pressure rise over normal. No weird noises or sputtering. Or could it possibly be a blow head gasket or god forbid head? If so, what kind of time am i looking at to pull one side of the heads to check this all out? Any help would be appreciated."

"I had a similar problem where

"I had a similar problem where my engine “runs on” or “diesels” when it is shut down. This caused the engine to run backwards for a bit, which sucked in water from the exhaust that caused my engine to hydrolock. Not sure if this is your problem, but the symptoms sound very similar."

"intake gasket unlikely. would

"intake gasket unlikely. would tend to fill crankcase, not cyls. firing order off could cause reversion, but also unlikely. if just one cyl. involved. head gasket maybe, or crack in head. bad exhaust manifold would flood whole bank. bad intake would flood both banks. to pull head, intake must come off, along with anything bolted to it."

"A leakdown test will tell you

"A leakdown test will tell you whether there is a leak, and where that leak may be. I would try that before pulling the head. Also, if you have a fresh water cooling kit installed, you could see bubbles coming from the heat exchanger during the leakdown test. Alternatively, you could pressurize the fresh water side and find which cylinder(s) become flooded with water."

"What will the leak down test

"What will the leak down test show? I know the cylinder is filling with water, and it’s not coming in through the exhaust, little chance it’s from the intake, so the only other possibilities would be cracked head, blown head gasket, or cracked block. And in all 3 cases, won’t I have to pull the head to find out? I just don’t want to dump another $100 into a test that just reconfirms that “hey, you have a leak in your piston”. If no water is getting into my oil, doesn’t that isolate my problem to mechanics above the block?"

"another quick question. When

"another quick question. When i go to the Volvo online store, to look up the part numbers on the head, and intake gaskets for my 5.7GSi, what are all the variations of the motor PBYCCE, PEFS, PLKD, PLKE, PWTRCE. The intake gasket on the PEFS is 3857662 (cover matches mine) but when I look at the other models, the gasket # changes to 3854269. How do i tell what I have?"

"Here are some pics of the mot

"Here are some pics of the motor to help identify
80107.jpg
Front view

"Chris, by suggesting a leakdo

"Chris, by suggesting a leakdown test the idea was to make sure that you have a blown gasket or cracked head, and the water ingress is not due to some other unusual circumstances like Mike Hiliger suggested above. As a matter of fact, the only things you need in your case is a source of low pressure compresed air and a threaded fitting to attach the air hose to the spark plug hole. Once you pressurize the cylinder after putting the piston on TDC (end of compression) you should hear where the air is leaking from."

"I will go to autozone, and se

"I will go to autozone, and see if I can borrow a tester, but how will i tell if the noise is through the gasket, block or head? Did the pics above help with identifying what intake manifold i have on the motor? (for gasket and part numbers)"

Back