Logo

77b 175 hp Outdrive leaking

D

Dwayne Fontaine

"I'm seeing a little outdr

"I'm seeing a little outdrive oil coming from what looks like the drive shaft (Coming verticaly from top of unit) when outdrive is in lifted position. When I got it winterized last year mechanic told me he saw a little water in upper unit, but not to "Worry" just watch it. Is my unit going bad? Is there anything I can do other than watch the oil level? 1977 Creastliner 775 Crusader, 302 ford, 175 Hp OMC.....Help!!"

"If you have the guts,,,,<[img

"If you have the guts,,,,
happy.gif
you might first drain the oil from the upper gearbox and check the condition of it for water, metal shavings, etc. You can pick up a complete seal kit for fairly cheap. Replace all the seals and o-rings, and have it pressure checked. Also, clean then carefully check the exterior of the housing for any cracks, paying careful attention to the areas around bearing seats for the main shafts. Good time to change out the ball gears too. It's not as scary an undertaking as it might seem, and it's MUCH cheaper than having to replace the shafts and bearings down the road when contaminated oil has fried everything. (I speak from experience in this)"

"You should worry about it to

"You should worry about it to the extent of getting it done before you go out again. You may want to get the Pressure Check done first so as to verify where the leak may be coming from. If you go ahead and change the Ball Gears, best to change both of them."

Back