Logo

Outdrive issues VP 280

switlikbob

Contributing Member
"I know that there are major p

"I know that there are major problems with my outdrive, but I am still in the process of removing it from the transom. Yesterday, I tried to back flush water through the intake vents. I hooked my garden hose up to the power steering cooler, expecting the water to travel through the intake vents (where the water from the river would normally come in). I had removed the drain plug from the outdrive. To my surprise, 80% of the water was spewing out of the drain hole???? What seal is toasted?"

"Do you mean the water is comi

"Do you mean the water is coming out of the oil drain? In that case, the problem could be much worse than just a seal. But if you are talking about the small hole at the bottom of the outdrive (part 10 in the following link), below the intake grids and forward of the oil drain, that's normal. Have a look at the cross section of an outdrive in the las page of this document.

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/00998157-7FEA-4F7D-B459-EBAA361AAAF2/0/AQ311B_ SP_1988_en.pdf"

"No, I mean it is coming out o

"No, I mean it is coming out of the oil drain hole. My outdrive does not have that other hole. What the heck is wrong with this unit?"

"No idea of what is wrong, unl

"No idea of what is wrong, unless the casting has somehow become perforated between the water and the oil chambers. I don't see so much water (80%) finding its way through defective lower seal units. Also, I cannot see how 80% of the water can come out through such a small hole."

Back