Logo

Crusader 502 Much Noisier Than Auto Engine

stumedic

Contributing Member
"I have a Crusader 502 with ab

"I have a Crusader 502 with about 400 hrs. on it. Oil pressure is 60psi. at cruise and 55 at idle. Oil consumption is about a quart in 20 hrs. No blow by. The engine is just mechanically noisy, almost diesel sounding. Remind me of my old 392 Palmers. Anyway, I've been told by a mechanic that the "noise" is caused by Crusader's use of forged pistons instead of cast and I shouldn't be concerned. He said it will never be as quiet as an auto engine. Sound right?"

"Well maybe "diesel" i

"Well maybe "diesel" is a bit of an exaggeration, but noisier than an auto engine for sure. Mechanic said that Crusaders is pretty unique in their use of forged pistons vs. others who use cast. Maybe I'm being too picky. Stu"

"Hey, nobody likes to be towed

"Hey, nobody likes to be towed in! I applaud your caution and concern. Perhaps a second opinion from someone mechanical that you trust would be a good idea here?

Jeff"

"Stu, I've got twin 502&#3

"Stu, I've got twin 502's in my 1992 Silverton. They sound exactly the same. Oil pressure is in the 65psi range when cold and 50 to 55 when hot. These motors run very well. The noise is normal. These engines also have timing gears as opposed to a timing chain which is inherently louder."

Thanks Mike. Nobody else aroun

Thanks Mike. Nobody else around my marina has big block Crusaders so I have nothing to compare them to. They certainly don't sound like small block Mercruisers. The local mechanic is a big fan or Crusader. According to him they are much more than an auto engine with marine manifolds stuck on. Thanks again. Stu

Back