Logo

Wonbt start

raceman25

"I bought a Pertronix ignitor

"I bought a Pertronix ignitor #2842 for a 151c Volvo 4 cy. that has points. I followed the instructions and put the red wire to + side of coil and the black wire to - side of coil and took out purple wire from the condenser and points to the + side of coil. Called Tech at Pertronix to see what to do with gray wire which was connected to the - side of coil and he said to put it on the + side of coil with red wire and do away with the purple wire . Won't start. Checked gray wire for current with test light and no current. Would like to know if it is a negative ground system,does that mean the gray wire doesn't have any current. If so,is there somewhere I can pick up current to go to the + side of coil when the switch is on . If so, what do I do with the gray wire coming out of the harness? Will that solve the problem at all??"

"I'm not surprised it won&

"I'm not surprised it won't start, as the way you have connected the wires there are no 12V reaching the (+) side of the coil.

The purple wire is the ignition wire that comes from the key switch and must be connected to the positive side of the coil.

The grey is the tachometer cable and has to be connected to the negative side of the coil.

I suggest you utilize a volt meter during the installation. You must have 12V between the + side of the coil and ground when you turn the ignition switch on. Also, the Seloc manual has the wiring for your engine; and so does the operator's manual (if you don't have one, you can download one from the VP website)"

"Woops, them darn pesky purple

"Woops, them darn pesky purple ignition wires. Do as EL says and have a good time on the water!!"

I am thinking of doing the Per

I am thinking of doing the Pertronix upgrade but this doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Pertronix's tech help! I think I'll follow El Pesc's instructions.

There is not a darn thing wron

There is not a darn thing wrong with Pertronics. You put them in and forget about them. Takes all of 10 minutes with the timing check.

Back