Logo

1999 43 Gi Overheating at slow sppeeds in gear

A

Andy Mac

I have a problem when the engi

I have a problem when the engine is in gear at idle the temp starts climbing slowly but will go over 200F if left. It is worse in reverse than forward but as soon as a little throttle is applied the temp comes back down to 160F. You can run all day and not heat up if above 1000 rpm. The seawater impeller and themostat have both been replaced with no change. Any Ideas?

"sounds like the water is not

"sounds like the water is not moving fast enough through the system at the lower RPM's, (Idle)
how is the temp when in left in neutral at idle?
what happens when you don't engage in gear and throttle up to 1000 rpm's leaving it in neutral?
Is this boat primarily a seawater boat? if so!
do you have a way to flush the engine?"

had a similar problem. The end

had a similar problem. The end result was corrosion has created a hole in the copper water tube between the upper and lower housing of the outdrive. The replacment tubes are now stainless .

"If left in neutral the temp n

"If left in neutral the temp never rises over 160F. No it's not a seawater boat , it's on Lake Ontario. I will try to flush it anyways and go from there."

"Lake Ontario? Hmmmmm, could t

"Lake Ontario? Hmmmmm, could the problem be zebra mussels in the cooling system?
wink.gif
"

"Flushed the system, nothing c

"Flushed the system, nothing came out but a week after that the problem went away. Just today it started again. So, I really don't know where to go from here. I guess I need to split the upper and lower outdrive and go from there."

Back