Logo

Newbie Honda 99 wonbt start

bc_fred

"I have a new (to me)

"I have a new (to me) sailboat with a 2002 Honda 9.9. Tried to start it today, with no results. I couldn't get a visible spark with a plug out touching a bolt head on the side of the engine.

The plug was pretty dry. Definitely not flooded. Maybe no fuel? The motor sat for the last six months, and it's been to California and back on the boat on the trailer.

I have had older Honda outboards, back when they had points, but I don't even know how the electrical system works on this new one. I work on my own cars and boats.

The engine looks really clean, seems to have compression.

Does anyone have diagnostic suggestions?"

Look for a " kill / safety

Look for a " kill / safety switch " somewhere on the throttle handle.There may be a lanyard that has to be clipped on.

"Thanks. The clip is in place.

"Thanks. The clip is in place. It seems like the clip doesn't move the little red button very much, but the clip is in good shape.

I'm on my way down to the boat a bit later with a better plug tester and a can of starting fluid.

My plan is to try starting fluid first, and if I get no action, to concentrate on spark."

"Success!

I read the posts

"Success!

I read the posts on the list, especially starting fluid is a quick test for spark.

One squirt of starting fluid and she fired up and ran for a bit. Second squirt she kept running. I ran the boat around at 3/4 throttle for a few minutes, then idled for a while, then higher speed. Now she starts on the first pull.

The funny thing is I had the can of starting fluid in the car all the time I fought with the engine yesterday, left over from helping a friend with his diesel inboard.

Question; Is the spin on filter that looks like an oil filter actually an oil filter? If yes, where is the fuel filter(s)?

Thanks"

"The oil filter is located on

"The oil filter is located on the starboard side of the engine, down below the carburator. You have to remove the side cowling to remove/replace it. The fuel filter is a small white in-line filter located below the air breather box. It is enclosed inside a protective black rubber boot. Some small boats also have a fuel water separator mounted in the transome (it looks like an upside-down oil filter. Hope this helps."

"Thanks Dude,

It helps.

"Thanks Dude,

It helps.

Is the in line filter a throw away or does it unscrew for cleaning?

I'm familiar with the Racor type water separator/filter. I have a regular plastic outboard type tank. No filters there. The gas looks clean and I topped it with fresh gas, maybe 1/3. Once it started, the motor runs fine."

"My 2000 4-Stroke Honda 9.9 on

"My 2000 4-Stroke Honda 9.9 on my sailboat, which was working fine a few weeks ago, is not starting. It's a pull start and when I went to start it, it was very hard to pull and I couldn't get it to start at all. I made sure that the gear was in 'neutral', and the kill switch clip is in place as you mentioned above.

Is it a transmission problem? It seemed that the prop was turning a bit when I pulled the start cord, but not sure.

Or, a clogged carberator????

Any advice on how to diagnose or fix this?

Any input or advice on this would greatly be appreciated!"

check oil level on the motor!!

check oil level on the motor!! and report what you find.If oil is ok seperate the lower unit and see if it turns over easier.

"Have you pulled the plugs? If

"Have you pulled the plugs? If not, pull the plugs and SLOWLY pull the starter cord to see if anything is in the cylinders.

Maybe put a rag under the cylinder head to catch anything that comes out.

If oil comes out, pull the cord a few times to clear the cylinder, clean the plugs, put 'em back in, top up the oil as needed, and see if she starts.

If water comes out, or if the motor is still hard to turn, think about separating the top and bottom or opening the gear case."

"So I tried the advice posted

"So I tried the advice posted on this forum and I removed the spark plugs as mentioned of post#5 (thanks Fred), and I eventually got the engine to start. Nothing came out, but the pull start became easier to turn. The spark plug tips were blackened, so I cleaned them with a wire brush and put them back. With several pulls, the engine turned and started.

I took the boat out and ran the engine for a good 45 minutes or so, and the next day the engine started on the first pull. I am a happy boat owner again. I like this forum. Thanks!"

Pretty good forum indeed! I wo

Pretty good forum indeed! I would probably still be fighting my engine instead of enjoying it if I hadn't had the starting fluid tip. I can imagine engine parts all over the cockpit and no sailing for weeks.

I have still had a hard time starting unless I actually put the throttle in the START position. Then she starts first pull at an idle. Older motors I've had started better with more throttle.

Is this a function of electronic ignition?

"Fred, on the new style Honda&

"Fred, on the new style Honda's the choke (let's just call it an enrichment system because it is not really a choke) is a separate fuel passage that feeds gas to the vacuum side of the carburator buterfly valve. When you pull the "choke handle" you are opening this line inside the carb so that additional fuel can be introduced to the engine. This fuel is pulled via the vaccum caused by having the throttle (butterfly valve) in the fully closed position. If you open up the throttle, the vaccum is destroyed (or greatly deminished) and consequently fuel is not sucked through the enrichment port. Make sense? If not, just put the throttle position where it says to on the handle. If it doesn't start first pull, something's wrong with the carburator."

"Thanks Dude,
It does make se

"Thanks Dude,
It does make sense. Not only that, but it starts the engine!

It's hard for me to admit that the engine will start and run at an idle. I feel like you have to rev 'em up and make some noise when you start. I'm used to starting diesels at an idle, so maybe I can learn to start the Honda."

"Exhaust Question: While runni

"Exhaust Question: While running the engine (2000 4-Stroke Honda 9.9) yesterday, there was more white smoke coming out of the exhaust than usual. Is this something to worry about? Any advice on this?"

White smoke could be steam. Ch

White smoke could be steam. Check your spark plugs and see if you have a crusty deposit (salt).

Also look at the motor around the head gasket for signs of leakage.

Does it clear up right away or does the white exhaust continue?

Back