Logo

Cleaning shafts and bronze props

cruisers00

Regular Contributor
"Will like to know what work b

"Will like to know what work best the clean shafts and props on my 87 Chris-Craft Amerosport.

Just bought boat last December, Boat not used for 2 years. Can I sand or use steel brush on shaft? I am new to inboards."

"I have a bit of a concern usi

"I have a bit of a concern using anything that will put a permanent scratch in a polished stainless steel shaft. I would use anything softer than stainless steel to do the cleaning, like a copper pan scrubber or an aluminum scraper. Steel wool is probably too hard.

Just like tempered glass, if you put a scratch in a polished or otherwise non marked surface, you may (and I say "may" because I don't know for sure) set up a weakness in the shaft. In addition, if you do sand the shaft, you just put a zillion little scratches in the shaft for stuff to grow in.

regards, P"

"Thanks Jeff, will give it a

"Thanks Jeff, will give it a shot.....
By the way is anyone know where I can get a wrench to remove my rudder's packing lock nut an packing nut. Opening on wrench should be 2 7/8" wide. Try every boat store in Maine and not available."

"I've got a 87 Chris Craft

"I've got a 87 Chris Craft Amerosport, twin 350 Crusaders. Does anyone know what the fuel consumption rate of these boats are when they are properly tuned and in good shape?"

Is it 7.4L (350)? or a

Is it 7.4L (350)? or a 5.7L 350?. I do have twin 7.4L 350 Crusader engines and get around 1 to 1 1/2 mile per gallon @ 1400 rpm cruising around 6.5 to 7.2 knots
Henry G

Back