Logo

Boat seems to turn quicker one way more then the other

tshelton99

Contributing Member
"I had the Boat out again, and

"I had the Boat out again, and I seem to notice that the boat will turn more quickly to the left then to the right, anyone know why? and when it turns to the left the boat really dips way down on the port side and turning to the starboard side it seems more normal, this boat has No trim tabs under the hull, just standard tilt trim on the drive unit, isn't there an ajustment that can be made on the lower unit?
Thanks Folks"

"My boat does the same thing a

"My boat does the same thing and I think it has to do with the direction the prop is turning, but I could be wrong."

"Bob D , what you sugested doe

"Bob D , what you sugested does make some since,
although the left turn is so extremely quick it almost fills as though if I held into it the boat would dip in the water on its left side and this boat is a rather deep hull. it's probly me just being a little paranoid, but I don't havethe nerve to stay in to the left turn when I see the water only about 1 ft. from coming over the edge
uhoh.gif
"

"Tim, yes I have the same conc

"Tim, yes I have the same concern with my boat when I turn to the left and as you can see from my avatar, my boat is also a v-hull albeit just a 17' one. My girlfriend always thinks I am trying to dump her out of the boat!
biggrin.gif

BTW, my trim tab is set just right...I can cruise at high speed in a straight line without needing to keep a tight hold on the steering wheel. Not that I do that a lot, but before I adjusted the trim tab a number of years ago, it would pull pretty good to one side when trying to cruise straight."

"Not sure if this is credible

"Not sure if this is credible or or a myth, but I have heard that boats have a tendancy to tip more when turning one direction than the other. Is this true? If so, which way is tipsy? Left or right? Also, if it is true, why and how? Prop spin? May need to call up mythbusters...."

"Not sure as to myth or fact,

"Not sure as to myth or fact, But if enough folks would chime in and give testimony if there boat does or does Not do this same thing ,then maybe I could just except this as being a fact and not worry about it as a problem of concern, over the past 30 years or so I have only owned 8 other boats all of being outboards, and do not recall any of them having this kind of feel to them in a
left turn, ofcorse those boats were smaller vessels ranging from bass boats to smaller fish-n-ski boats much lighter in weight for sure, this Sportscraft weighs around 2600 lbs. so the weight might be a contributing factor, Although it does get up in plane quickly at around 100 ft or less,"

It could just be an illussion

It could just be an illussion of where you are sitting in the boat. Although calling the Mythbusters could be worth watching.....

my 21' 73 Reinell with vp2

my 21' 73 Reinell with vp270 and Chrysler 318 leans more to port when I turn left than the other direction. I thought it was because of prop rotation also. Mine weighs almost 4000lbs fully loaded.

will

Back