Logo

AQ130C camshaft

D

Dan B.

I need to replace the cam in m

I need to replace the cam in my AQ130C and wanted to know what the difference was between the car cam and the marine one. Will I notice that much of a difference? The difference in price is amazing. Thanks for the help in advance.

"As a rule, automotive camshaf

"As a rule, automotive camshafts are engineered for speed while marine camshafts are engineered for torque. The difference in price may be amazing, but so in the difference in performance."

"Will it take longer to get up

"Will it take longer to get up to speed but work eventually of will it not work at all?
The engine is a 1972 B20 Aq130C

Thanks for the help you know way about this than I do.
"

To Ron's words I will add

To Ron's words I will add that without sufficient low end torque the boat will simply not plane. You need to get a marine camshaft if you intend to install a car engine in a boat.

"Look at the end of your exist

"Look at the end of your existing shaft and it will be stamped with a letter, most likely a C. Get a US made C-grind and it will work like the original and not flatten like a Sweedish. $87 compared to $890. I have 2 years on mine and it's running great."

The correct camshaft for an AQ

The correct camshaft for an AQ130 is a "P" camshaft. This does not mean that others won't work.

Back