Logo

283 water temperature senders

"You bet they do! On my boat,

"You bet they do! On my boat, only 1 out of 4 still worked! I replaced them with "fan switches" sold by Jeggs (on line). Best deal I could find.

Jeff"

"Jeff, Could you say more abo

"Jeff, Could you say more about what a fan switch is and how to locate it on Jeggs? Thanks for all your help."

"That's her! Note that yo

"That's her! Note that you can get two temp ranges. I used the higher onein the intake manifold, and the colder ones in the exhaust system.

Jeff"

"These are SWITCHES not SENDER

"These are SWITCHES not SENDER units. The switch inside closes when the thing sees excessive heat, and that causes a buzzer or horn to go off. Ditto the oil pressure switch--when no oil pressure is sensed, the switch closes and alarms.

Jeff"

"Jeff: On my boat, one side o

"Jeff: On my boat, one side of each engine is connected to the water temp guage. I assume those are sender units which open as the temp rises thus raising the guage level. So the "fan switches" at Jegs are switches. On or off. Do you have buzzers or horns for each? Were the buzzers already on your boat or where to buy.

My plan is to leave each engine with one side attached to the existing temp guage and the other attached to a horn/buzzer.

So the kit linked above has two switches. Any idea what the temps are for the switch to close. Are they 1/2" thread?"

"THey are 3/8 NPT (despite

"THey are 3/8 NPT (despite what the literature says). You can buy 160 or 200 'F switches. I got a nice, loud buzzer on eBay.

Jeff"

"Anyone know where to get send

"Anyone know where to get sender units as opposed to switches? My water temp guages always read below 100 degress unless the pump fails and then they will shoot up to 200 or so. I assume the sender units are not working properly. Thanks. BTW, the threads on mine are 1/2"NPT"

"I recommend you get a digital

"I recommend you get a digital infrared laser point pyrometer. You'll find many uses for it. I use mine to check the circuit breakers in the middle of the winter to see which ones are heating up when the heat is on. I also use it to check my various automobiles (I collect water cooled Porsches) and to check the AC in the house and the cars. On a boat this is invaluable. You can pinpoint a hot spot, and you can verify the temp reading on the motor too.

I don't know what the 283 temp reading is to be, my manual is at work and I'm at the house at the moment, but even the big 427 is supposed to run 130 to 150 on a thermostatically controlled motor. The 283 isn't a thermostat motor, so when running at less than wide open throttle, it may well be running very cold.

It would be good to do a check with the pyrometer. Just look at what your temp gauge is reading on the boat, and point the laser point pyrometer directly at the sending unit. It will tell you exactly what the temp of the sending unit is (it should be slightly cooler than the internal water temp).

Regards, P"

Back