Logo

OMC 50 Ford Difficulty Starting Intermittent Spark

D

Dan Medina

"I really need some help here.

"I really need some help here. I have a 1993 Ford 5.0 OMC Inboard w/electronic ignition. The problem started when the throttle seemed to bind when I tried to pull the throttle back into neutral. When I got back to the marina I forced (lightly) the throttle into neutral and the engine died. The engine cranks but no spark. This is what I’ve checked so far, coil (it checked good), but put new one on, still no go. By passed neutral safety switch, by-passed another switch on motor bell-crank (don't know it's name). Power to coil okay as well. I found an article about a “nail test”. This is what it said, “remove control module and try pressing fingernail into epoxy. If it is soft then the module is bad.” I removed module, stuck my fingernail into epoxy and it was soft. I then reinstalled module and tried it and it started right up. I purchased and installed a new module and back to square one (no spark). Reinstalled old one (no spark). I checked for any broken or chaffing wires but all appear good. Now for the weird part. I found that if I turn the key to “on” (power), then take the purple wire (from distributor to positive side of coil) and scrape it against the treads on the coils’ positive terminal until I can hear sparks arching inside of the distributor cap. THEN IT WILL START! But once I turn the engine off the spark is gone and the only way it will start is if I repeat the above steps. Does anyone know where my spark is?
Thank You."

"Try disconeccing the shift co

"Try disconeccing the shift control module and starting the boat, sounds like you may have shift adjustment problems. Atleast it will help narrow it down.
good luck"

Back