Logo

BB140A

jon_a

Contributing Member
"I am replacing the timing bel

"I am replacing the timing belt on our newly aquired BB140A in a 21' Repco. How critical is belt tension? If I follow the workshop manual will I be ok or are there some trade secrets that I should know? Does the 90deg.twist test apply?
I know from my automotive messing with other makes that the belt tension is very critical and if this is an inteference head a mistake will cost big bucks.
This is a nice litle engine, there's only 40 hr on the clock. I'm excited that it will be very reliable and efficient once I get all the basic maintenance done.

Thanks,
Jon"

Just follow the workshop manua

Just follow the workshop manual. The tensioner spring will give the right tension during the belt installation.

Make sure all the pully's

Make sure all the pully's are free of corrosion or the cogs will slip. The tensioner will tension to the right amount. Pull it off first and lube the back side so it moves freely. Good luck

"Thanks everyone. New belt is

"Thanks everyone. New belt is on and tensioned.
Does anyone know if this is an inteference head?
Also, in the spare stuff that came with the boat I found a new zinc, its a cylinder in shape, about 5/8" diameter and maybe 2" long. Does this go anywhere, does the BB140 have replacable zincs?

Thx,
Jon"

"The head is non interference.

"The head is non interference. Also, some exhaust manifolds have room for a zinc like the one you describe."

"Another question along this l

"Another question along this line. The pully seems to rust very easily. Can I spary fluid film on the cogs to prevent rust, or will this cause the belt to slip."

"Thanks everyone for all the h

"Thanks everyone for all the help, this is a great site. I believe that the boating experience involves more than just turning the key and I do all the work on my boats myself.
I gave up on outboards because I got tired of looking at the oil slick in my wake. I like the rugged simplicity of the BB140A and I like that it will not pollute as much as the 2 cycle outboards. She should be running next weekend.

Jon"

Anything you spray on the cogs

Anything you spray on the cogs themselves will wear off in no time at all. Not a good idea either. Spray all you want on the other parts. The best thing for the belt contact area is use!!

"David, I always sprayed the t

"David, I always sprayed the timing gears with Fluid Film before the winter season in my old AQ140. I found this helps to preserve them if they are not pitted. However, if what you have in yours is more than a bit of surface rust (i.e. pitting) I suggest you should replace them, for otherwise they will eat the timing belt in no time. You can get them used (automotive) for a good price at Chapman. They are exactly the same as the "marine" timing gears.

When it comes to V-pulleys, I either spray them with a bit of Fluid Film before the winter season or paint the V groove if the boat is not going to be kept in a dry place."

Back