Logo

Acceptable amount of water

tshelton99

Contributing Member
"Hi all, as some of you know I

"Hi all, as some of you know I have recently acquired another boat "Sportcraft" ,after bayling out on the bayliner repaires
wink.gif
So! finally after about 2 weeks of tweeking things I get the boat out to the lake for a test,
everything does very well, the 4.3 volvo ran out great, But I'm not too sure of the speed RPM ratio
of an inboard/outboard ,this being the 1st one i ever owned, I took the boat easy for the 1st time out only pushing it to 35mph at about 4-k RPM at little over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle does this seem right? Now after I get the boat back on the trailer I notice quite a lot of water pooring out of a small 3" flap behind the boat, is this where the engine water drains from?
but Now to my question about the amount of water from the Hull. I removed the Boat Hull plug which is a brass screw in kind, and I would say that about 1 gallon or more of water drain from the boats hull, so! am I taken in more water then
I should be for about 30 minutes of being in the lake? I never bother to look inside while I was in the boat, and I know that the underside of the hull is in great shape as I have went over the intire hull with wax and inspecting it as I go.
.I actually would not think it should be taking in any water, But ofcours as I stated this is my 1st inboard boat,so is there
bound to be a little water to get in thru or around the drive unit?
I know with the outboards I never had any water issue in the hull.
thanks for clearing things up for me!
happy.gif
"

"You should have no water comi

"You should have no water coming into the boat thru the outdrive !
This is not to say that there is a serious problem , Just one that needs adressing.
Best luck
BJ"

"To me, the acceptable amount

"To me, the acceptable amount of water ingress in a boat is <u><font color=""ff0000"">zero</font></u>, unless it is rain water
rain.gif
. Check your engine cooling system, as well as the transom plate, exhaust manifolds/risers, exhaust Y-pipe and the condition of the transom around the transom plate."

"Just a Heads Up on the boat w

"Just a Heads Up on the boat water problem >>>>
OK I checked all the hoses etc,etc, and ran a Bead
of silicone around the outdrive plate, and took the Boat back out again, I ran it for about 3 hours checked the hoses again for leaks and none were found, No water at all getting in, when I trailer the Boat I pulled the plug and not a drop of water came out,so I guess the water was getting in thru the drive unit plate,there did seem to be a bit of a gap around the lower part of it, maybe thiner then a dime, I really didn't like the idea of the messy silicone but I did a clean job of it kind of as a trouble shooting,
I suppose that when ever work is needed to the drive unit I will then replace the gasket,,,
So for now No water leaks"

"One suggestion: try to tighte

"One suggestion: try to tighten the nuts on the inboard side of the transom shield holding bolts so that you can force the gasket around the transom shield to seal. This would also be a good opportunity to find out whether or not your transon is in good condition, as it may have started to rot."

"also check the little rubber

"also check the little rubber washers on the drain plugs, often they are ignored because (you see them )therefore they must ok. but some times they get hard and when you close them, even when tight they still leak.
the rubber should be nice and soft."

Back