Logo

Engine stalls when trying to shift in gear

J

jt

"1984 4cyl i/o OMC, every time

"1984 4cyl i/o OMC, every time i try to shift in gear the engine stalls, it runs great in nutral.
please help.."

"The idle may need to be adjus

"The idle may need to be adjusted while in Forward gear. On my mercury, idle is adjusted to 500-600 RPMs while in Forward gear. Neutral has no resistance (prop is not spinning) and when the IDLE is set while in NEUTRAL, you may have problems. When gear is shifted into FORWARD gear, engine now has resistance and the RPMs will decrease around 200 RPMs and your "Ideal" idle settings have dropped from 500-600 to 400 and will stall the engine; set the idle while in Forward gear, not NEUTRAL gear. This will result in a higher IDLE noise and speed while in neutral, but your engine will no longer stall."

"I have an '85 400 stringe

"I have an '85 400 stringer unit... and it stalls when shifting from Neutral to Reverse. There's a small switch on the shift box (I'm not sure what it's called). When the arm moves from one direction to the other it presses the switch, the engine may stall.

If I move the shift leaver from Neutral to Reverse and quickly move back to idle while in Reverse, it will usually not stall out.

There doesn't appear to be any adjustment for the switch... I was planning to look into it more this spring. Any suggestions?"

I believe this switch cuts the

I believe this switch cuts the ignition for an instant to allow the unit to get into gear. If the switch is not springing back to its nuetral positon it will kill the engine

Back