Logo

Chrysler 90 20 pole tach troubleshoot questions

R

Rick Demkovich

" Last time I had my outbard i

" Last time I had my outbard in the water, the tach went "crazy", even though the engine was running fine. I have checked all connections and wiring and seems fine, and the engine still starts and funs fine as well. On the back of this tach is a 1-2-3-4 place switch. Is it correct this should be in the "3" position for this 3 cylinder motor? Appreciate the help. "

" follow up: voltage between

" follow up: voltage between Ignition/power at the meter, and ground is 12+; voltage between tach line from engine and ground is 0. Voltage between tach line at engine terminal board and ground is 0. I believe voltage between tach line terminal and ground should be 3-6v when running. And now tach is not showing any reading at all. Is this the rectifier? "

Rick...Do you have a battery

Rick...Do you have a battery charging problam? The rectifier receives pulses from the ststor to send to the tach so it could relate to either of these parts or maybe your tach is just no good...DJ

" thanks, DJ, but no...after f

" thanks, DJ, but no...after fooling with this for two days I found an intermittent loose connection--so I cut it off and replaced it with a properly installed terminal. "

Back