Logo

1986 Yamaha 115 leaks oil

dsoliah

"I first posted this question

"I first posted this question last January; I rec'd several excellent suggestions; the weather here just got decent enough so that I could get the boat out and follow up on the suggestions;
The question was that oil collects on the front of the engine, when the engine is not running; probably a tablespoon or more per day but eventually enough so it starts running down the outside of the lower unit. Since I always trailer it home after use with the engine tilted up, I cannot say for sure if it occurs only when tilted or not. I couldn't find any sign of oil except on the lower part of the cover over the carburetors; I removed that and there was oil on the inside of the cover; additionally, there were drops of oil on the throat and choke plates of the carbs; while it does not run as smooth as I would like at low speed, otherwise it runs fine; I put in new spark plugs before the last time I used it; I checked those yesterday and they seemed normal, with no evidence of oil fouling.

I would appreciate any help/suggestions you have to offer - Thanks, Dave S"

clean it up
and check it with

clean it up
and check it with the cowling off while running

are u tilting it up to store

"During the summer, I suppose

"During the summer, I suppose I have left it in a tilted position, though certainly not full tilt -but it did not leak until the end of summer, or least there were no signs of a leak; Before I put the boat in storage, I cleaned up the oil on the front of the engine; but I did not remove the plate at that time; I then put it in my shed and the motor was fully down; in that position it leaked enough so that it ran down the outside of the lower unit and formed a puddle on the floor about 6" or 7" in diameter. It had been at least 6 weeks then since I had last used the boat. When I took it out of the shed, I had to tilt the engine up and that was prior to my removing the cowling. Both of my outdoor hydrants are still frozen so I will run it as soon as possible; I live on the shore of a large lake and they were still ice fishing on it last Satuday - in fact driving trucks on the ice, but I will do it and let you now as things thaw out - thanks, Dave S"

"I pulled the boat to where I

"I pulled the boat to where I could hook up to a water supply - started and ran it at idle for a few minutes - I had the cowl off so I could see the carbs - no sign of any oil - so - what do you think?
Again, thanks for your help, Dave"

If you take a good look at you

If you take a good look at your motor you will see four hoses from the oil injection pump that go to the intake manifold BEHIND the carburetors. On your motor the oil is not mixed with the fuel.When the motor is tilted oil may leak out especially if there is any pressure on the system. I would replace those 4 little hoses as a leak / break only means one thing as in no / little oil to that cylinder and a wrecked motor.

"I checked the plastic hoses a

"I checked the plastic hoses as well as those that appear to be of rubber - could not find any signs of a leak on any of them - however, given the age of the motor, would it be a good idea to replace them anyway? This is my first experience with an oil injected outboard - should it be tilted only when trailering? and given that I cannot find any place it has leaked, any other suggestions?

I do appreciate your help/suggestions - Dave S"

"If one of those hoses was cra

"If one of those hoses was cracked / fell off , do you see a warning system anywhere that would tell it is not getting any oil???? The motor would start to " rattle " and then you would know."

"I don't know if there is

"I don't know if there is a warning system for this or not - I would guess there isn't - so, what are you suggesting I do? I apologize for being so thick headed but I am doing the best I can - I am fairly familiar with engines and know that once you get to the "rattle" stage, significant damage has taken place - and obviously that is what I am trying to avoid, and will do whatever you, or others, think I should do to avoid that possibility -

Thanks again, Dave S"

I have an 86 model and my cap

I have an 86 model and my cap leaked in the tilt position because I tighten the cap with pliers instead of hand tight you can reattavhed the cap body to the top with super glue

Back