Logo

Engine Over Heating

nawtical1

"Hello,

New to the site and

"Hello,

New to the site and have enjoyed readinng the post.

I have a 2004 boat with twin 5.0 GXI Volvo dual props. While preparing to untie I heard a screeching noise coming from the starboard engine. It sounded like a frozen pulley/belt type noise. Before I could inspect, the noise stopped. I checked the engine and noticed the starboard risers were very hot. I recently had the dealer change the impellors but I pulled and inspected anyway. checked OK. I replaced and idled in the slip for 30-45 minutes. No overheating. I take off at a slow pace 700-1000 RPM and overheated only five minutes away from the dock. I pulled the thermostat and tested. It opened as specified. Just to be sure I ran the boat without the thermostat and it ran hot in five minutes.

There is water flow into the engine but I am not sure if it is sufficient or being pumped by the circulating pump. Does anyone know how to check the system without removing the circulating pump or the risers? If I missed something please advise

Thanks."

"I had the same screaching / g

"I had the same screaching / grinding noise in my motor bay the other day. I pulled the raw water pump and sure enough, the bearing were shot...there were shards of metal all over...I have a new pump that I didn't install yet."

"I could not tell if my pump w

"I could not tell if my pump was bad, since volvo pumps have sealed backs. I noticed a sqeeking sound (bearing like) as we were removing the old pump. (what year is yours?) Since I had it off I changed it anyway."

Back