Logo

1971 omc electric shift problems

J

Joshcpots

I just bought a 1971 SeaRay th

I just bought a 1971 SeaRay that has a Omc electric shift I was on the lake this past weekend and while I was moving the prop some how got slung off and of corse the boat stopped I shut the engine down. I replaced the prop and now it will not go forward but will still go in reverse. What could have happened? Any help would be most helpful.

sounds like the forward spring

sounds like the forward spring broke.... ouch

"[b]"I just bought a 1971

""I just bought a 1971 SeaRay that has a Omc electric shift"

Ayuh,........ Sorry to hear that....."

"don't worry tho... it isn

"don't worry tho... it isn't that bad... lol.. if you have some use with tools you can do it... get a manual... I had to rebuild mine when I bought it too, except I didn't have a manual.. (1975 MFG Caprice and OMC sterndrive).. mine lost reverse and ended up being the reverse spring... email me and let me know what the problem is... if it is the spring, I have one you can have.. email me.. [email protected]"

I had the same problem with my

I had the same problem with my 72 electric shift. I had reverse but no forward. The easiest and most likely problem is the shift cable. Just check the continuity of the cable leads. I was told the springs and coils rarely go bad. My cable cost $79 and took me 4 hours to replace.

Back