Logo

Volvo Penta TAMD 1983 diesel

C

Chris Herger

" Hello

We have a boat wi

" Hello

We have a boat with 2 Volvo Penta TAMD diesel engines. One of the engines produce a lot of smoke when we go over 2000 r/m. Under 2000 r/m all is OK.
According to the manual, this engine should make til 3600 r/m. But both engines run only till 3000 r/m.
I have to say, that this engines were run very little the last three years and almost never the last year. The fuel is about three years old.

Has someone a idea, what these problems can come from.

Thanks
Chris "

I have already something to a

I have already something to add. The correct specification of the engine is TMD40A. If somebody could provide me a copy of the service manual i would be grateful.

" Chris,

You need to start

" Chris,

You need to start with verifying your WOT rpm. If actually 3000 you are over-propped and this would explain the smoke. Why only one smoker ? Well, engines are never exectly the same and neither are the props.

Verify your tachs using an optical phototach.

Order Service manuals from a Volvco Dealer. NOTE: These manuals are written for a trained tech and is of little use to you as an owner.

Karl "

" Hello Karl

Thank you very

" Hello Karl

Thank you very much for your advise. Yesterday I was out again with our boat. It seems that the problem was caused by not using it, because there was only few smoke and both engines went at till 3400 rpm at the end. I think that this problem is solved.
In regard of the manual. I am experienced with petrol engines but not with diesel ones. It is clear, that I can only do a few things myself and that I need a trained tech for bigger fixings. But I want to know how it works and I want also do some maintenance myself. Do you know about a better manual to suite my wishes?
Chris "

" Chris,

OK. However, 3400

" Chris,

OK. However, 3400 is 200 short of where you need to be. Verify actual rpm and reprop if only 3400

Karl "

I am looking for a TaMD 40B.

I am looking for a TaMD 40B. PLEASE E-MAIL ME IF ANYONE CLOSE TO LOUISIANA HAVE ONE.
tHANKS

" cHRIS, your turbo charger is

" cHRIS, your turbo charger is in need of rebuilting. I hjad the same problem. I bought a new turbo charger and I as able to turn up all te rpm's i neded. "

Back