Logo

1983 175hp johnsonneed help

M

mattkrois

" ok here what i have got so f

" ok here what i have got so far i aquired a 175
ok, it keeps sheering the woodruff key...the origainal key (sheered) then a key from another 140hp evinrude (sheered) then made 3 from acouple of one i had that were ling around... she starts once the woodruff key is in but idles high and rough...
it seamed to have a carb problem at first then so i replaced ...all new..so i know the problems are not there. i don't know how to adjust the timing...and all the plugs have good spark jumping the gap...all the compression is at 100 lowest one being 99 highest one being 102

but before i i sheered the pin i had it out on the water it idled out of the harbor ok but would not get up and go once i gave it the gas...ok i am tring to give as much information as possiable..if the motor is tilted almost out of the water it reves up fine but once she gets down to sit she almost bogs down....could it be the power packs ..all the plugs show good spark but then at idle now it almost like skips..i played with the timing screw to no avail..and everything else looks alright...well any insight or any idea please let me know
thanks "

" Matt.... You've no doubt

" Matt.... You've no doubt got fouled carburetors, The cure would be to remove, clean, and rebuild them.

The flywheel key sheared because you didn't torque the flywheel nut properly. Clean the crankshaft and flywheel tapers, then install a new key. Torque the flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

ok i thought i added that i r

ok i thought i added that i replaced the carbs already ..but they might be how would they be fouled already....just a question i know i wrote it pretty confusing..i will try get a torque on it 105 footlbs and let you know how it works out..

ok well tightend it down to 1

ok well tightend it down to 105footlbs turns over great..got the carbs rebuilt...the ones i took off and put them on...now she runs great in reverse but in foward she won't go over 2500 rpms...no gas leaks in revers she takes off well above what i would consider normal..well any help would be greatly apprciated..
thanks

Back