Logo

40 HP Mercury Missing at 2500 rpm

R

randyblad

I have a 1998 40HP Mercury Tr

I have a 1998 40HP Mercury Tracker that starts well but begins to run rough at about 2500 rpm. The vibration from motor is severe from about 2300 to 3000a rpm. I have rebuilt the entire fuel sytem an now think it is a problem in the ignition. How do I check the spark coils? Does anyone have other ideas about what I can check.

" I have a 2001 yahama 200 hpd

" I have a 2001 yahama 200 hpdi When I'm trolling for a little while the motor loads up ,it takes 25 miles for it to come to life again. I asked a dealer if I could switch to a hotter plug , he suggested not to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance Mike "

" I think you have the wrong p

" I think you have the wrong prop on your motor. You are talking about the range where most are trying to get up on plane. If I had the same problem, I'd go to a prop with a lower pitch, say 17 to 15 or similar. "

" Mike... Just a thought, some

" Mike... Just a thought, some mercs have low exhaust relief ports in the midsection of the motor and if the exhaust is below or restricted by water they will load up. So whats recomended is when trolling to keep the exhaust above the water line. Don't know if yamaha has the same problem but this suggestion you might check into.Next time your out check to make sure your exhaust is above the water line and if not just trim it up so it is...GOOD LUCK DJ "

Back