Logo

Salt Water in Cylinder #4 crusader 454 Freshwater cooled Bertram 30

D

Drobinson

" I have just discovered salt

" I have just discovered salt water in the #4 cylinder of a fresh water cooled Crusader 454. Does anyone have an idea how this would have happened? Has anyone successfully repaired this type of problem?

Thanks,

Dave R. "

"If your exhaust manifolds are

"If your exhaust manifolds are part of the FWC system, then it might be seawater getting up the exhaust tubes past the risers. It would most easily enter a cylinder with an open exhaust valve.

If it wasn't in there too long, you might luck out. Take out all the plugs, crank the engine to blow out the water, squirt oil in the #4 cylinder, change the oil and filter, replace the plugs, start the engine. Let it warm up and do a compression check. Then look for how water could get up the exhaust.

"

I'm in the middle of it.

I'm in the middle of it. My Crusaders still run but the plugs are rusty and the valves have scaling. Risers cracked and manifolds are shot. Go to manifoldwarehouse.com for a deal on mannies and risers. Will remove heads for valve job and inspect cylinders. Optimum for reliability and piece of mind is to remove engine and boil the block. Do a total rebuild for leass than a grand for each engine and be done with it. If I cheap out and end up blowing the engine cause I didn't I'd be pissed AND SINGLE!!!!!!!!The real pisser is the engines only have 150 hours on them and have been destroyed by previous owner's NEGLECT!

Back