Logo

1973 40 HP Johnson Outboard Electric Start Motor

R

Ralph McIntyre

" Hello Gentlemen........I had

" Hello Gentlemen........I had just launched by boat last week after being inactive for 3 years...I broke down after 20 minutes of activity.
I disconnected the fuel connetor to my tank, and I had black soot around the connector bearing that hooks up to my tank. the bearing would not seat any more, and therefor no fuel could be pumped up to the engine. The only thing I did do was add fuel stabilizer to the tank, and used the old fuel line. did the stabilizer break down my seal? since the new ones are alcohol protected? "

"Ralph.... That's the firs

"Ralph.... That's the first time ever I've heard about black soot being on one of the fuel connectors. However, either install new connectors or replace the fuel line assy.

Check the compression and spark. Compression should be approx 100+ psi and even on both cyls. Spark, with plugs out, should jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame on both cyls.

If the fuel line replacement doesn't solve your problem, I would assume the carburetor is fouled and will require cleaning.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back