Logo

1984 mercury 98 carb problem

mailman

" The engine starts but dies o

" The engine starts but dies out. When I prime the bulb, gas shoots out. Does this mean the needle is not seated? How many turns out on the mixture screw from seated? "

Mailman... This means the nee

Mailman... This means the needle is stuck closed. Sometimes you can sqease the primer bulb hard enough to break it loose but if not you will have to take it apart to clean it up. The starting point for the idle mixture screw would be 1 1/2 turns out from a light seated position.

Cleaned it but if I put the n

Cleaned it but if I put the needle in and tip the carb it does not fall out. Does that mean the needle is no good?

Mailman...Once again make sur

Mailman...Once again make sure the carb is clean including the needle and seat. The needle should be reddish in colour at the tip. If all else fails replace the needle and seat if possible. Dont't be afraid to try some fuel stabilizer in your gas it might help?

" Sorry...Some models do have

" Sorry...Some models do have a black tip on the needle. But it still has to be a carb problem, the fuel has to pass into the carb float bowl yo operate properly so you may have to look into replacing the carb if your sure every other possibilty is ruled out. I have never had to replace a carb of your model of motor but thers a first time for everything I guess. Double check your float level to make sure its correct and seating the needle properly OK. "

What should be the measuremen

What should be the measurement when the carb is upright? And what should it be when I turn it upside down?[when needle seats]

Mailman... I'll have to d

Mailman... I'll have to double check the specs. but basically if you hold the carb upside down the float should sit level. Will write back tonight with the exact measurement OK...

Mailman... when you hold the

Mailman... when you hold the carb upside down the float is to be 1/4" from the top of the float to the base of carb. This should be approximently level. When you turn the float upright you should have 1/8" from float to center of main fixed jet. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND its in the service manual and I suggest you might get one or call me at work 1 905 835 1774 as for Dave in service.

" OK! I have a 1978 9.8 mercur

" OK! I have a 1978 9.8 mercury long shaft on a new sailboat. what's the easiest way to flush this motor? It has a flush screw at the top of the shaft but Boaters World has sold me the wrong part. How long do I idle the engine when flushing this way? Also the compression is 125# per side. Is that good enough? thanks, jack "

Back