Logo

Power Loss in 85 Hp Evinrude you wonbt believe this

rick

Regular Contributor
" OK they just called me and a

" OK they just called me and after replacing the amplifier and coil and no improvment, they're now saying the compression is low and the motor is shot. A basket case. Junk.

My question is, the compression was fine a couple of hours ago and when the power loss occured, the motor was running like a million dollars - 5300 rpm. All of a sudden it was like somebody flipped a switch and the rmp dropped to 2300 rpm. No overheating or any other catistropic noises or events.....just a sudden drop in rpm, so how could the compression go from perfectly OK to low in all cylinders in the blink of an eye? I'm sure my oil/gas mixture was fine (I fill the onboard tank 6 gallons at a time, adding the coil with each 6 gallons just before pouring it in)

Do I need a second opinion. If by chance they're correct, what do you do with a motor that appears in almost brand new shape but has low compression? "

" Thats easy, redo the compres

" Thats easy, redo the compression check and see which cy\linders are not coming up, it is almost impossible for all to go down at once. Then remove the head and take a look. Then tell us what you see. "

Back